China Trip Elective
The Finger Lakes School of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine of New York Chiropractic College China Abroad Program offers a rich blend of clinical and didactic training at Zhejiang’s number 1 Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Hangzhou, People’s Republic of China. This two-week course delivers a valuable experience and is appropriate for anyone seeking to improve his/her understanding and skills in all areas of Traditional Chinese Medicine including; acupuncture, herbal medicine and tuina. FLSAOM welcomes students and practitioners with diverse levels of experience to join the trip.
Participants train in various clinical departments and attend specialty topic lectures delivered by top level experts. Lectures are supported by corresponding clinical experiences including; acupuncture outpatient and inpatient departments, specialized internal medicine departments such as GYN, pediatrics, oncology, rheumatology, respiratory and general medicine. Participants also receive hands on instruction in the hospital’s renowned Tuina department. Beyond the classroom and clinic setting, participants receive a specialized lecture on the history of manufactured herbs and are guided through an active herbal manufacturing facility and dispensary that houses one of the largest herbal museums on China’s Eastern seaboard.
Add on Options:
- Study Tai Ji and Qi Gong with a leading Master of the martial arts
- Cultural excursions; In Beijing: visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven and Tian An Men Square. In Zhe Jiang: see the Ling Yin temple (the oldest active Buddhist temple in Eastern China. Visit and take a tour to the Dragon Well tea farm and an herbal manufacturing facility.
Why Choose the FLSAOM's China Trip?
The FLSAOM China Abroad program has been in operation since 2005 and has been led by the college’s Associate Professor, Darlene Easton, M.S, L.Ac, M.C.N, dipl. NCCAOM. Ms. Easton began her studies in the Peoples’ Republic of China in 1987 and has been leading TCM specific trips to Zhejiang’s number 1 hospital in Hangzhou since 1999. She not only has a very deep understanding of Chinese medicine but of the doctors, administration and individual departments that make up this fine research and teaching hospital. Professor Easton helps each participant develop his/her own unique experience by connecting them with the expert doctors and affiliated professors of Zhejiang University of TCM, who will meet their educational goals and interests. Ms. Easton has the distinct honor of being known as the first foreign group leader to establish a regular working relationship with the hospital’s International-Educational-Center of TCM. The chaperoned trips, which are unique to FLSAOM, insure that every individual is provided with a quality experience from start to finish. FLSAOM of NYCC and Ms. Easton work diligently to make this trip a rewarding and unforgettable experience for participants year after year.
What Will You Gain When You Go?
- Exposure to a fully integrated healthcare model that includes a full range of diagnostic imaging, laboratory and biomedical practices in a fully equipped teaching TCM hospital.
- Information on, and training in, new and specialized acupuncture techniques.
- A broadened knowledge of herbal formula use, modification and application.
- A greater appreciation and awareness of the heritage and history of traditional Chinese medicine.
- A new or renewed confidence and ability to apply and integrate Chinese medicine and acupuncture into new and different health care environments.
- An amazingly rich personal experience that will be remembered for a lifetime!
NOTE: The China Elective runs most years, however an annual trip is not guaranteed.